Followers

Monday, February 2, 2009

Ahead of My Time


As I wander through the many blogs "out there" I can't help but feel kinda jealous of the young moms who have "Mommy Blogs". You guys have a wonderful space to complain, compare, ask questions, record wonderful moments etc. as you document your mommy years. You don't need to feel alone in a house full of tiny jabbering baby talk all day. I know it isn't easy, but you are finding random moments to jump online & share your rant or your victory with other women in the same stage of life.

I too, was able to see that it was a sweet, though challenging time of life when my boys were little. But, without the Internet to record my wonderings & questions, I journaled it all. Boy oh boy did I journal it all! I have stacks of books filled with words & tears & even word pictures. I knew that even though I often felt alone in the journey, (my hubs was there but........) there were others experiencing the same crap, craziness & cartoon filled days.

I do believe that I was ahead of my time though in one respect. Realizing that these emotion filled days were not permanent & that someday I would be shocked to find myself looking up into my kids faces; I carefully wrote some pages in my journals that I called my "Snapshots" of our life at the time. I give you the proof that I knew how to cherish my sweet moments.
Most of my journal pages were filled with my questions & observations about one certain situation or another. But every once in a while I looked around me & knew that the moment must be remembered even though I didn't fool around with cameras much at that time. (Photo film had to go to the shop for at least a WEEK before we could see them!) So I wrote my word pictures of our daily life as a family of four.

Today I am so glad I did this. It's been over 20 years since these little love notes were written & I cherish them immensely! So, I guess I shouldn't really be terribly jealous of the young moms of today, but still...........

3 comments:

  1. I am not a very good journal keeping person, so maybe I am glad I am parenting at this time of life. I would never have kept all the hi's and low's if written in a book. Amazing how easy a computer is to use.
    I guess my worry will be if this web page is still around for the boys to see when they are old enough to understand it!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a whole shelf of old journals. I kept thinking that some snowy day when I didn't want to get out and about that I would sit with a grand cup of tea and go through some of them. Only problem...so far we haven't had any snow yet and I keep filling my days with other things.

    I was fortunate to have a great mom's group at our church that helped us all get through.
    I think I should collect all my journals now. We're actually supposedly headed towards the low 70's on Friday...I can sit in the sun on my front porch and have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is wonderful that you have these memories written down. It's ok it is on paper vs. the computer. Now you have a new way of documenting your journey in life. You have the best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Thanks for reading! Please leave a comment even if it has nothing to do with the specific blog, it's great to know that you are writing stuff that real live people actually read, ya know?
Brenda