I have a lot of Blog friends who are mommies to young kids. You guys are fun to read and as I have said before, I am pretty jealous of you for being a young mom in the age of the Internet. There are so many perks you enjoy and it is very possible that you may not even realize how lucky you are!
- You don't suffer from the feeling of isolation that the moms of the earlier decades endured. Baby talk for 8 hours a day, most days of the week led us to the sensation of being dumber than a stick when we actually got around other grown-ups for any conversation longer than, "Did you get the diaper bag by the door?" "No, thought you did!".
- Our only advice source was our own Mom or the Doctor's Office. Both of those can be entirely not-helpful at times.
- You can display hundreds of adorable photos of your kids without seeing the dreaded look of boredom that can appear on your co-workers face or the other moms in the Doctors Office, since that is the only social outing for the month!
- Having hundreds of Blog friends to inspire you and help you know you are not going crazy is a huge and gigantic perk to being a young mom today! I am jealous.....but I do not want to go back and do it again.
I am a happy EMPTY NESTER and here are some of the perks of having your kids grow up and move out of your house..........I know, I know, even speaking such words make you clutch your heart! But when the time comes, you will be ready.
- Going Braless - I no longer have to wear a bra at home because my sons are gone. Now that is a PERK, in more ways than one!
- Candy - I do not need to hide my candy stash in the back of my underwear drawer or the vegetable bin.
- Fewer Dirty dishes - We run the dishwasher once a week instead of every night!!
- Less Cooking - Related to the previous perk. I don't do big meals any more, other than holidays when they come home.
- Less Milk - When my boys were here I could not keep enough milk in the fridge. Now we buy the smallest carton and even that gets old before we use it up!
- Eating Out - Since it is just the two of us we eat out all the time! Love it!
- Ears Are Safe- Turning on the CD player or the TV no longer breaks my eardrums, and scares me to death!
- Noise - I no longer hear strange cooking noises in my kitchen in the middle of the night.
- Smells - Also no more weird aromas from Rocker Son's midnight cooking experiments and the extra bathroom always smells wonderful!
- Laundry - No more small loads of laundry being done for two shirts by sons late at night.
- House Clean - When I get home the house looks exactly like I left it in the morning.
- When they do come to visit, we actually sit and look each other in the eye while we talk! Love it!
I will admit that the first few times we came home from work to an empty and quiet house it made me sad. I remember standing in the living room looking at the couch cushions that were in the same spot I had left them and thinking that it was too quiet and empty feeling. Hubs came up behind me and said something about how great it was to come home to a clean house. I just nodded yes.
And I do have a silly habit of making sure the front door is unlocked when we are home even though we always come in through the garage door. Hubs asked why I do that and I told him that I hated the idea of either Writer Son or Rocker Son coming by and needing to knock or use their key.
Guess I ought to leave it locked so I have more time to run back and put some more clothes on and hide my candy!