Followers

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Holiday Food!

See that expression on Writer-Sons' face? It totally matches mine when I think about my mom's sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top! I know, some of you think that is a disgusting idea, but, Oh man is it yummy! I believe that may be the main reason my guys want to spend holidays at Grandmas house, she cooks. I do not.

Now you know why my kitchen looked so clean & neat in this recent post! I have always hated cooking, so now that our sons take care of themselves, my hubs & I get a big lunch out somewhere because we work together & then just snack at night. I love being free to do stuff like that any way we want to, one of the advantages of our age I guess!

Anyway, sweet potatoes are one of my favorite holiday foods. My moms' Cinnamon rolls & fudge are the best I have ever tasted too. Can you tell I have a bit of a sweet tooth? When I was a little girl my mom made her fudge several weeks before Christmas, wrapped it in foil & hid it in a closet so it would be ready for Christmas Day. I accidentally found the hidden treasure one year & secretly ate a few pieces each day until she opened it up on Christmas Eve to find an empty container! Not a happy holiday for me, my punishment was to eat nothing sweet on Christmas Day! Torture!

Since I am not much of a cook, my contribution to family or friends gatherings is always the dinner rolls or something easy like jello. Early tomorrow morning I'm headed to the grocery store for my jello recipe ingredients. I make this wonderfully sweet concoction of raspberry jello, raspberries, pineapple, bananas & sour cream that is as good as dessert!

This Thanksgiving we will be joining some good friends of ours because all my family is out of state & we aren't traveling this year. So the marshmallow-y sweet potatoes will have to wait another year. What are some of your favorite holiday foods?

5 comments:

  1. We are going to my in-laws for Thanksgiving. She isn't nearly a good a cook as my sisters. They always make that Green Bean casserole..the one with the Durkee onions and the cream of mushroom soup recipe. I probably could live on that stuff. LOL! I am also a fan of what your son was looking at. YUM!

    Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like that expression on his face! it makes me want to eat.. hihi

    I miss your comments on my posts...hope you can visit my blog and hoping to hear your thoughts on about 3 posts? =) hihi

    take care...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. That's a great pic of your son. His expression would warm any cooks heart!

    My fav holiday food is my mom's lasagne. Thick, juicy, cheesy (incl. hot, stretchy mozzerella). What makes it so great is her tomato sauce. Her meat-based tomato sauce is so tasty, we'd make a meal just dipping our bread into it, before the lasagne was assembled.

    Enjoy your day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever since my mother-in-law passed away, I've missed her candied sweet potatoes (no marshmallows but they were incredible!!!!) and these carrots she made with syrup that were out of this world! She was a true domestic goddess and it is during big meals like Thanksgiving that her presence is missed so much more keenly. When I firstmarried her son, she found out that I loved homemade pierogis like my grandmother used to make and from that moment on, she always had a batch of homemade piergois waiting for me. Gosh...I'm getting a little teary writing this. Amazing how food made with love can really touch you. I miss you Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments Jodi, Meili, Jenners & Lydia,

    It is interesting how our food memories have more to do with who made them than the actual food itself.

    I hope you all have the most memorable holiday tomorrow. (Memorable in a good way for sure!)
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi Thanks for reading! Please leave a comment even if it has nothing to do with the specific blog, it's great to know that you are writing stuff that real live people actually read, ya know?
Brenda