Followers

Monday, December 21, 2009

Nativity Set Carnival Day!!

I have always loved nativity scenes ever since playing the part of "Mary" in a church Christmas program as a little girl. I have still never seen a Mary figure that I really liked though. She usually looks too holy & distant compared to the picture I have in my mind & heart.

The golden set was made by my ceramic teacher mom years ago & given to me last year. I love the simple beauty of it.
This crafty cute set all fits in the stable box...after many tries & a little bit of grumbling! I like how the people do not all stand straight & the rough feel of them.

My biggest set is a beautiful ceramic group that my MIL painted for us during our first year of marriage, 31 years ago. I love the process of slowly unwrapping them each year & lovingly placing them together in new spots around the house. The cow has a chipped ear due to our kitten knocking him over the year I set it up underneath our tree. Trees & kittens are always interesting!
I have a funny little quirk that is important to me while I set up my nativity scenes. I always place the shepherds & the kings or wise men in a mixed group. I don't keep the kings with other kings or the shepherds just with other shepherds.
My theory is that being in the presence of Jesus eliminates all levels of status or superiority. It had to be extremely humbling to be in that amazing & holy place. I really doubt anyone was thinking about their position or authority.

That being said...I also know that the traditional Nativity Scene is actually not even Biblical! History says that Jesus was most likely about 2 years old by the time the wisemen found him. Mary, Joseph & Jesus were visited while living in a house not spending the night in a stable. But that does nothing to take away from the magic & delight these sets give me!
Isn't this teeny tiny one cute? It is sitting on top of my microwave! I like their happy expressions.
The all white set is a super cheap little threesome from the dollar store. Again the simplicity captures me every time.
This pastel colored piece is all connected by hinges. So the kings & shepherds are segregated, ha! I love the variety of sets that are out there around the world, it's amazing how diversely this one single scene has been portrayed. I don't care for the silly ones much. Snowman people, puppies or vegetables dressed as Mary & Joseph don't do anything for me.

May you all have a wonderful Christmas!
Thanks for sharing your special holiday mementos with us!


MckLinky Blog Hop

7 comments:

  1. All of your Nativity sets are precious. Don't you love the ones made my hand? They seem to mean more to us personally.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your nativity scenes! Each one is unique.

    Thanks for sharing with us!

    Merry Christmas!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your nativity scenes! Each one is unique.

    Thanks for sharing with us!

    Merry Christmas!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sticking to the way it really happened, I tend to put the wise men separate from the Nativity. Our church had a living one during the musical last night and had the couple come out a second time with an older child for the wise men to visit.
    I don't care for the animals portraying this holy scene either.
    I think the one your MIL painted looks like pewter.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... the last glass one is the same set my parents have here in Australia! Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right, unwrapping them each Christmas is like finding little treasures. It always invokes so many memories for me of Christmas past.
    Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading this post. Your idea of mingling the wise men figures and shepherds is a great perspective.
    I just found out about this nativity carnival and would have like to join in since I have a nativity blog that just features my nativity collection:
    http://carolanativitygallery.blogspot.com
    Happy New Year!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete

Hi Thanks for reading! Please leave a comment even if it has nothing to do with the specific blog, it's great to know that you are writing stuff that real live people actually read, ya know?
Brenda