Followers

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Blog-Land Made Me Heartsick

A trip though random blog-land was disturbing to me yesterday. Blogger has "improved" the device at the top of our blog pages that allows us to see what the "Next Blog" is. In the past it could take you to a blog about earth worms all written in Greek. You never knew where you would end up. So they made it more precise & fixed it so that it will always go to blogs that are similar to yours. Same language & subject matter.


Actually I liked the crazy randomness of it, except for the creepy sexy ones that had to be super-quickly clicked away! But yesterday's experiment with the upgrade hurt my heart & I am not sure that I can explain it, but I will try.


I am supposing that it is due to my mentions of God & prayer once in a while; I was sent to all "Christian" blogs. I saw about 4 that were wall to wall scripture & preaching. There were 2 that were so hateful regarding abortion & Obama that I had to double check that they called themselves christian. Others were so drippy-sweet that my teeth hurt more than when I eat candy-corn! A few worked really hard at turning every little action & thought into a Bible lesson.


My main thought was....no wonder people are not interested. My heart hurts that followers of Jesus are seen as hateful & narrow-minded, but I can see it for myself in the blogs that I have been lumped together with. I love scripture, I hate abortion (but not the people who have them or the Docs that do them.), and yes, God is evident all around us. But He is also funny & creative & surprising.


Would one of those super sweet blogs ever say they had a super crappy day? Probably not, because it would appear they had lost their salvation to admit such a thing. We (Christians) are real people who poop, get angry, say the wrong thing & lose our tempers. God is OK with all of that. He made us & knows all the garbage in us & still He loves us.


I believe that most Christians take themselves too seriously. More seriously than God does. We tend to make things harder than they are. Studying every little word of a passage to the point of ridiculousness. ( is that a word?) He may be shaking His head saying, "It only means what I said & nothing more. Give it a rest already!" :)


I love God with all my heart & I'm not ashamed to say it. And please don't take offense, but sometimes I AM ashamed to say I am a Christian. It reminds me of that great line in "Princess Bride"........"I don't think that word means what you think it means."

4 comments:

  1. I love that feature too! I found some awesome blogs that way :( I wonder what blogs mine would be by.... somehow my top part doesn't show with the layout I have setup :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Christian box I fell into so easily during college has only recently been flung off as some kind of new awakening has begun in me...I still have so far to go... I don't even know what you're talking about with the "next blog" thing...hmmm, would be interesting to see if I have that and what I would find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again a honesty a possessions post. Because of your also pen-friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    I'm here online for the children of Haiti.

    I'm doing this for a non-profit haiti organization that gives time to
    creating an oppurunity for the children in haiti. If anyone wants to give money then this is the place:

    [url=http://universallearningcentre.org]Donate to Haiti[/url] or Help Haiti

    They provide children in Haiti a positive learning environment.

    Please check them out, they're a real cause.

    Any help would be great

    ReplyDelete

Hi Thanks for reading! Please leave a comment even if it has nothing to do with the specific blog, it's great to know that you are writing stuff that real live people actually read, ya know?
Brenda