Followers

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Do You Have Old Kids?

I am trying to find the words to explain the pleasure I get from having my grown kids in my home. Even though my sons are 24 and 28, this is a new sensation for me. Twenty-four year old Rocker Son has only started coming around now that he has a new girlfriend and has cleaned up his life a bit. Writer Son is newly married and I think my enjoyment about his presence is that we are not always nagging at him about job, money, car etc. That's his wife's job now! Ha! Actually, being married has transformed him into a grown man taking on real responsibilities and that is totally a kick to watch!


I remember my mom talking a lot about how much she loved having us all home for visits. We could never stay long enough to please her. "Don't go home yet, spend the night!" I did not understand it. But I do now.

Well, I'm not sure that I really understand it, like I said at the beginning, I am having trouble putting my finger on why it brings me so much pleasure to have them around. After all, I am basking in the wonderfullness of the empty nest!

The empty nest is glorious for hubs and me! I have waxed rapturous about it way back here and several other posts as well. So what is it about sitting on the couch and watching my sons and their ladies laughing and jostling in the kitchen that warms my heart so much? Hubs and I will catch each others eyes and share a smile as we hear the loud laughter erupt, even if they are laughing at us. Which they definitely do. 

It may have something to do with watching them become grown-ups right before our eyes. Where did those messy, bumbling, noisy (well they are still noisy) little boys go? We can still see them very clearly in these handsome men that fill our kitchen up with their huge feet and tall bodies. 

Or it could be the joy in seeing them look at the girls they love! Oh my goodness! That is a truly amazing sensation to watch that happen! To listen to the cute, flirty banter and even the married bickering is funny to us.

I am so thankful that both my sons live close right now. I do not take it for granted, it could change in a moment. I intend to enjoy every minute I can while they live close enough to drop by if they happen to be passing by on their way to something else, or they want to watch a show we all love. 

And someday.....they will take a while to get in the house because they are busy unloading baby seats and grabbing the diaper bag! Someday, but for now they are more than enough!

5 comments:

  1. So sweet. Our two are almost fortysomething, and live literally within blocks of us. Your thoughts resonate here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I'll ever have an empty nest. Our oldest is 40 and our youngest it 13, plus a son and his pregnant wife moved in with us. But I Love having them here. I love my kids with me, usually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hubs and I LOVE it when the girls are home- and BestSonInLawEVER too! It's always FUN...there's no more using the 'mommy' voice or taking them here and there or making them do chores, etc... It's just a fun time! And there really is joy in seeing the wonderful young adults that they have become!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you are lucky to have them living close by. I have this fortune now too and really is so much fun to have the kids coming home. We have an empty nest yet are able to enjoy them too. The best of both worlds, I´d say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You explain so well the area of life that I am starting to love. My Mom said the same about staying longer. It is nice to have fun with my young adult kids :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi Thanks for reading! Please leave a comment even if it has nothing to do with the specific blog, it's great to know that you are writing stuff that real live people actually read, ya know?
Brenda