Followers

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Country Boy in the City......

Hubs and I spent a night in San Francisco this last week with some good friends. We live close enough to make it a day trip but staying over added some fun to our outing! Hubs had a little trouble with the pillows but otherwise he did fine.
We had the amazing and magical opportunity to go to the De Young Museum to see the new "Birth of Impressionism" Exhibit! In June our students gifted us with some tickets to the art showing and it was breathtaking!
We had to keep telling ourselves that we were in the same room with the ORIGINALS .....Whistler's Mother, Renior, Monet, Degas, and others!
Rather than fight city traffic and CRAZY parking fees we caught a ferry in Vallejo and enjoyed an hour ride over to Fisherman's Wharf.
I always forget what a beautiful city SF really is. so much to see. For a small town girl it can be pretty overwhelming, but when you are with friends it becomes another fun adventure!
Hubs is considering this for his next job if the school thing doesn't work out! You never know what you will see around each corner.
This cool little Bistro cafe was right across from our room. In fact this pic was taken on our balcony! We had breakfast and lunch here, very cozy and beautiful.
Fishermen's Wharf is a crazy, busy, noisy and wonderfully colorful place to just stand still and take in all the life around you.
This painting by Renoir called, "The Swing" brought tears to my eyes. I did not expect that reaction at all! But I have loved this and seen it in books and on TV for so long, with no expectation that I might actually see it in person. it was so lovely and sweet.
My favorite Degas paintings are the dancers. He did them in several different ways. I love paintings that hint at a story. I also learned that nearly all of the great "Masters" were not accepted or applauded at all in their lifetimes! The great artists were always pushing the accepted norms and getting all creative! (Lesson there?You bet!)
The surprise about Whistler's Mother was the size of it. I had assumed it was normal portrait size but it is wall size. About 8 feet by 8 feet, amazing and her face is really quite serene and lovely. In September there will be a showing of Van Gogh and we will try to gather some friends and do this again!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you posted about your adventure in SF. I'd forgotten about the exhibit. Maybe I'll take a cue from you and convince the husband that we ought to catch a train up and stay overnight. I used to live in the city. Once I heard my first crickets on a summer evening, I figured the city was no different than the small town I was (and am now) from. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi Thanks for reading! Please leave a comment even if it has nothing to do with the specific blog, it's great to know that you are writing stuff that real live people actually read, ya know?
Brenda