Followers

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Family

Writer Son and Sassy Bride were here last night. I think they surprised me with a visit because they knew that Hubs was working until midnight and I just might have sounded a bit lonely when I called them earlier in the day.

I had an interesting little "aha!" moment while they were here. I have plans for this Friday night, but when they mentioned they may come over on Friday to do their laundry I nodded happily and said it would be fine.

I suddenly understood my own mother's ease at putting aside her plans if the "kids" were coming over.

There is just something lovely about being around my sons and their ladies. There is nothing I would rather do and I know that Hubs feels the same way. For his birthday coming up, he just wants them all over here for a fun meal.

Years ago I would have chosen my work or my work friends over them. I would. But this year I have learned a great deal about the value of family. Family is there with you through the garbage and tough times.

My family knows me. They know that silly stuff and the painful stuff and they love me still. They ask the right questions. They see beyond the "I'm fine." answer.

Cherish your family members while you have them my friends.

6 comments:

  1. A lucky woman you are to have such a family.
    No; not lucky, blessed.
    And to have made the choice you did.
    Blessings and Bear hugs to the whole bunch of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope my growing family will be like that. I´m happy for you that you all like each other so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen Sista! Nothing like family! DoodleBug and three of her college friends came over for dinner last night. I so enjoyed cooking for them and spending time with them. Hubs did too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Bear, I am blessed, abundantly! Hope you are feeling better.

    Betty, I do not take it for granted that we like each other. I am blessed. I have been through seasons of not liking either son (gasp, it happens!) but they are turning into wonderful men and I am a proud mama.

    Empty Nester, this is strange and new to me. I even like cleaning up after them in the kitchen now! Mostly because they cook the meals when they come! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such an inspirational post, Susie. I am really trying to fight the frustrations of mommyhood. Hubs has been helping by taking one or two of the girls at a time to give me some breaks. I even got to go to the library for a while on my own the other day. (Well, actually, I got kicked out of the house for being a grump. But I needed the kick!)

    ReplyDelete

Hi Thanks for reading! Please leave a comment even if it has nothing to do with the specific blog, it's great to know that you are writing stuff that real live people actually read, ya know?
Brenda